Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Grilled Mediterranean Tuna

Once again, we were gifted with some fresh fish that Mike’s stepdad brought down from Alaska.  This time: tuna!

We also received a bunch of other produce, which included these tomatoes!  I love the little yellow grape tomatoes so much that we ended up not having very many for the salad…hehe

Here is the salad:

As for the grilled tuna, I have found what I like to do best is search for a recipe similar to what’s in my head, read through it, and then basically do my own thing.  It usually works, but not always. ;)

Here is “my” recipe:

1 medium tomato, chopped
Several lemon tomatoes (yum!)
¼ c. crumbled feta cheese
3 T. chopped fresh basil or oregano leaves
¼ c. olive oil
½ t. garlic salt
¼ t. pepper
4 tuna steaks, 1 inch thick (about 2 pounds)

In a medium bowl, gently toss tomatoes, cheese, and 1 tablespoon of the basil.  Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Spray grill rack with cooking spray.  Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.

In a small bowl, mix remaining 2 tablespoons basil, the oil, garlic salt, and pepper.  Brush mixture over tuna.

Grill tuna uncovered and 4 inches from medium-high heat for 5 minutes.  Turn carefully; brush with any remaining oil mixture.  Grill 10-15 minutes longer or until tuna flakes easily with a fork.

Serve topped with tomato mixture.

2 comments:

  1. This really does look wonderful. I just ducked over to vote for you. I did not enter the competition so I can happily and sincerely root - and vote - for others. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as we're based in the Mediterranean and sometimes get fresh tuna from the fishermen, this is definitely a recipe we can try. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!