Sunday, January 3, 2010

Late Sunday Lunch

My favorite day to have people over is Saturday.  Saturday lunch, to be more specific.  That way I have all morning to prepare it!

We have been trying to have Brian & Jill (and, of course, their adorable children) over for almost a year now, but either Brian or Mike were always out of town or we wanted to have people over that were about to move away or other reasons…Well, I invited them for Saturday (yesterday), but later they needed to switch to Sunday.  “Okay, I said, but our church gets out way later than yours so we’ll need to eat around 2 at the earliest.”  Cool, no problem.

Anywho…I prepared most of the food last night so it’d be ready to throw in the oven.  I soaked beans all day, boiled them all evening (literally), cut and chopped a dozen different things, etc.

Here’s everything I served:
·         Black bean dip with chips
·         Mom’s Chicken Enchiladas, extremely modified by me
·         Yogurt fruit salad (with green grapes that I haven’t seen here EVER until this week!! So yummy!!)
·         Green salad with a couple dressing options *

* This was seriously the second time I ever bought lettuce here.  You have to wash vegetables so well here and I’m just paranoid about lettuce.

So, to continue my story above…let me just explain that Jill is a phenomenal cook.  She’s a stay-at-home mom and has really perfected cooking.  Every time I have anything she made, it’s fantastic.  Needless to say, that made me a little nervous.  I’m new at this!  She’s also one of the nicest people I’ve ever met and I knew I shouldn’t worry, but I did anyway.  Of course, in all my worries I forgot that I was supposed to call them when we got out of church so they’d know when to come over.  All this time, I thought we just decided on 2:00.  Was definitely MY fault…but the delay helped me calm down and get things done as I was running behind.

Alas, everything ended up perfectly, they complimented it many times, and everyone was stuffed.  We didn’t even eat leftover birthday cake/ice cream, because no one had room!

To top it all off, I was internally beaming at Jill’s comment when she first arrived…She’s been excited to finally taste the cooking she’s heard so much about from different people.  Wow!  That made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!