Sometimes it is just such a pain, especially with smaller fruits such as grapes or strawberries, that we eat a lot of apples (washed with water and soap) and bananas. We get tired of them sometimes…
However, when I’m up for it, I buy the smaller yummy fruits and use this awesome product called “Kilol,” which I pronounce “Kill All.” You just have to rinse the fruit and soak it in a water mixture with this stuff and it kills anything that’s icky. Still a process to go through, but definitely is better than individually washing tiny grapes!
Yesterday, I used this for all the fruits in my fruit salad but also for the lettuce. I had to carefully peel each piece (because sometimes there are giant bugs smashed in there), rinse them off, and soak them in the Kilol for a few minutes. Luckily, no bugs this time.
Well, this blog should be really fun and also will be something you will want to keep for posterity. (Can one "keep" a blog??) Anyway, it will be fun for your kids to read some day. You'll have lots of stories to tell them about your time in Peru, and so soon after being married, etc. etc.
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be really doing well with cooking with what is available for you there in Peru.
Isn't is nasty to peel off a leaf of lettuce and find an earwig or some other disgusting bug nesting in the head of lettuce? That has happened to me several times and I just about throw away all the lettuce, rather than just wash it and call it good.
I'll be waiting for more posts!
Aunt Neva